Aunt Fannie’s Cabin Squash Casserole
3 pounds summer squash
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine
1 T sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash squash, cut in half lengthwise, then in 1/4-inch slices.
- Combine with chopped onion and cook in water to barely cover until both are tender.
- Drain thoroughly, shake out excess water
- Mix with half the butter, the breadcrumbs, eggs, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Pour into greased (PAM) casserole dish.
- Pour remaining butter on top and sprinkle with additional breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until top is golden brown and bubbly.