Davada’s Corn Bread
One heavy cast iron skillet 10″
2 cups cornmeal, preferably yellow
2 cups buttermilk
6 T peanut oil
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda dissolved in 1 T water
1 tsp salt
- Take out the iron skillet. Put it in the oven and turn the heat to 400°. If you aren’t using cast iron, skip this part because the pan will get too hot.
- Sift the corn meal, baking powder and salt into a small bowl. In a larger glass bowl beat the eggs with a fork until frothy. Add the buttermilk and 3 T of the peanut oil.
- Put the remaining 3 T peanut oil in the hot skillet in the oven.
- Working quickly, add the meal mixture to the egg and milk mixture and stir until combined.
- Stir in the baking soda.
- Pour batter into the hot skillet in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Turn out onto a wooden cutting board. Slice like a pie.
- Serve immediately with lots of butter.
Note: The hot cast iron pan keeps the cornbread from sticking and makes the crust real crunchy. So good.