Healthy Cabbage Soup by Gabriel Avila-Mooney
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Makes 6-8 servings
1/2 cup celery, finely diced
1 cup white or yellow onion, finely diced
1/2 cup carrots, finely diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups chicken broth
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup carrots chopped in1/4-inch round
½ head of cabbage, chopped
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
½ tsp red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add finely chopped celery, onions, bell peppers, and carrots.
- Stir in oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, black pepper and salt (if using).
- Sauté until carrots are slightly tender and onions are translucent.
- Stir in garlic, sauté for 30 seconds or until acutely fragrant.
- Add in chicken broth, tomatoes, large carrots and cabbage.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to simmer.
- Cook until cabbage is tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Taste broth and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve and enjoy!