Leek Quiche from Martha Rose Shulman (NYT)
3 large leeks, about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds, white and light green part only
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil or 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter
Salt to taste
1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
2 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1 Mediterranean pie crust [ed: please link] or whole wheat yeasted olive oil crust
Freshly ground pepper to taste
¾ cup milk (2% or regular)
3 ounces Gruyère, grated (3/4 cup tightly packed)
- Cut away the root and dark green leaves from the leeks and cut in half lengthwise. Run under cold water to remove sand. If the leeks are very sandy soak them for 15 minutes or so, then run under cold water again. Drain on paper towels. If the leeks are very fat, cut the halves in half again lengthwise, then cut in thin slices.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the oil or oil and butter over medium heat in a lidded skillet or saucepan and add the leeks and a pinch of salt. Cook gently, stirring, until they begin to soften. Turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook gently until the leeks are very soft but not browned, stirring often, 10 to 15 minutes. If they begin to stick or brown, add a little more salt and/or a spoonful of water or wine. Stir in the garlic if using and cook for another 30 seconds to a minute, until fragrant.
- Beat together the egg yolks and egg in a medium bowl. Set the tart pan on a baking sheet to allow for easy handling. Using a pastry brush lightly brush the bottom of the crust and place in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Add salt (about 1/2 teaspoon), pepper and the milk to the eggs and whisk together. Spread the leeks in an even layer in the crust. Sprinkle the cheese in an even layer on top. Pour in the custard filling. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until set and just beginning to color on the top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Advance preparation: The crust will keep for a few days in the refrigerator and freezes well. The finished quiche will keep for two2 or 3 three days. Warm in a low oven or serve at room temperature.