What is community supported agriculture?
C–Community S–Supporting A–Agriculture
CSA is a mutually beneficial relationship that’s built between Individuals, Families and a Farmer(s). In this relationship, the farms supporters purchase a weekly share of the farm’s harvest in advance of the season, to help the farmer with his operating costs throughout the season. In exchange for this, the supporters receive a weekly delivery at harvest time of the farm’s bounty for a definite number of weeks. The purpose of a CSA farm is to grow food crops for their farm supporters, their CSA Community. Our farms supporters place value on eating fresh food grown close to home, food that can easily be traced back to the field where the plants began life. They know that fresh food is always more nutritious and put simply, it just tastes better!
Why purchase a weekly farm box from Doe Run Farms?
- No need to worry about missing your farm box for travel or vacation! See your CSA Guidelines about how you can receive credit for missed shares. Download a copy of the Guidelines when you fill out your registration form. If you forget to do this, let us know and we will email a copy to you.
- “How To” information is included in our newsletters. Find out what’s coming in your box, tips on caring for what’s in your box, food storage, plus recipes. Your newsletters are on this website.
- Shareholder Bonus! (Not provided during the pandemic) Customize your box with extras from the farm from the “freebie boxes” that are delivered to your pick up locations along with your CSA shares. Once the harvest season is in full swing, we send extra vegetables and produce to our delivery locations so you may help yourself to more of your favorites, if you are so inclined! We have done this every year and everyone loves getting these extras. These are items that we have too few of, to give to everyone.
- You may change your pick up location occasionally during the delivery season. We have many convenient pick up locations. We ask that you give us 48 hour notice to arrange the change.
- Make use of the Payment plan to pay for your CSA share. There is a 4% charge for the convenience of using the payment plan. This charge is spread over the 4 payments of the payment plan. The charge goes toward administering the plan over the 24 week season.
- Major credit cards are accepted for payment. You are not charged a fee for using your credit card to pay in full for your share.
- Workplace delivery – If you’d like us to deliver to your workplace, get a group together, get an ok for us to make the deliveries, and we’ll will bring your box to your workplace! It only takes a few minutes for delivery.
- Home Deliveries: Available to single family homes within our delivery areas. (no condos or apartments). Email the farm to see if your address is included in our areas. You do not have to be home for delivery.
- Purchase seasonal Bulk items such as tomatoes, cucumbers, okra, berries and peaches for canning, freezing and dehydrating. These are purchased from the Online Country Store which will begin to be stocked in mid July.
Order bulk items in the online Country store and have them delivered with weekly farm box. Deadline to order from the country store, is always the Sunday night before your next delivery.
Wondering if CSA is right for you? If you eat out most meals, travel a lot for extended periods of time, or if by your own admission you are a “picky” eater that doesn’t care for vegetables, then a weekly CSA share is not a good fit for you. But, if you’re interested in (1) improving your overall health and well being as well as that of your family (2) you enjoy home cooked meals along with an occasional meal out, and you are open to trying something new now and then, (3) you prefer to eat “locally grown” food as much as possible because you believe it is not only healthier, fresher, and just tastes better, chances are good that a weekly farm box would make eating healthy fun!
I’m in, how do I register?
Visit our online country store to open an account and purchase a weekly farm box.
**Please print and retain a copy of your registration form to have on hand for reference.