White Bean and Kale Soup from The Curvy Carrot
1-2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 cup carrots, chopped (about 1-2 medium carrots)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups water
4 cups vegetable broth
5-6 red potatoes, chopped (I leave the skins on!)
Two 15-ounce cans cannelloni beans (white kidney beans), or 5 cups fresh cooked beans
One large bunch kale (any type-I’ve used all kinds, but I like lacinato for this), deveined and torn into pieces
1/4 cup heavy cream, optional
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a saute pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil until shimmering.
2. Add the celery, carrots, and onion, and cook, until the onions are softened, about 4-5 minutes or so.
3. Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for another minute or so. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Meanwhile, in a large saucepot over medium-high heat, bring the water and the vegetable broth to a boil.
5. Add the cooked vegetables and the potatoes to the boiling water/broth mixture. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 20-30 minutes (or until the potatoes are cooked through).
6. Add the beans, kale, and the cream (if using) and cook, stirring frequently, until completely heated through and the kale is wilted, about 10-15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.